Cameron School of Business at UNCW

The Opportunity of a Lifetime

Posted by Cameron School of Business on Mar 17, 2017 11:32:30 AM

Cambridge Boat Tour.jpg

March 2017 Editor's Note: This post was originally published in October 2016 and has been updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness.

************

Guest Blogger: Julia Ormond, Cameron School of Business - Marketing Strategy; Theatre Performance

Going to London with CSB was one of best experiences of my life. I didn’t think I’d get to go because my double major requires me to have so many credit hours. The London trip was perfect timing for me! From June 26th - July 28th I could travel around Europe on the weekends while I learned Business Law and Global Studies (International Business) during the week.

Traveling is interesting. Being a tourist is not something I like very much, so I did a lot of roaming around London by myself. I ate fish and chips, saw Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, and the London Eye. Besides the monuments and the food, the thing I found most interesting were the people. There’s something fascinating about the way the personalities of all the people reflected each other. I can only describe it as their sense of nationalism.

One of the major things I did was meet a really successful playwright, Lucy Kirkwood. I knew she was living in London and I decided to take a chance and email her agent about getting coffee with her. She responded and I met Lucy in the Liverpool train station and got coffee with her. It was a really amazing experience to put myself out there and be rewarded.

I learned so much in my classes as well. It helped to be learning with other Americans because I was in a setting that I was used to. I was more comfortable and I absorbed the material easily. I’m sure I would have done fine in a class with British students, but I know it was easier to be with my UNCW classmates.

I got to see and experience so much and I made some amazing friends along the way. It was an opportunity of a lifetime.

To learn more about the Global Opportunities offered at the Cameron School of Business, visit our website: http://csb.uncw.edu/global.

Topics: business, Cameron School of Business, International, London, Student Stories, Study Abroad

Cameron School of Business at UNCW

UNCW was established as Wilmington College in 1947. The Department of Business and Economics became the Cameron School of Business in 1979. Focused on the transformation of today’s business world from the industrial age into the information age, business education at the Cameron School of Business is focused on the technical, analytical and interpersonal skills students will need to lead this fundamental change in the business world through the 21st century.

On our blog, you will find:

• Stories of our students, both past and present
  • Highlights of our impressive faculty and staff members
  • Exciting ties to the community
  • Business tips and insights on both a local and international scale
For more information, visit our site or reach out to us!

Subscribe to Email Updates

Recent Posts

Posts by Topic

see all