Cameron School of Business at UNCW

Understand That You're Afraid - Then Do It Anyway.

Posted by Cameron School of Business on Mar 17, 2017 11:34:03 AM

nick-pindale - Cropped.jpg

March 2017 Editor's Note: This post was originally published in January 2016 and has been updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness.

************

Guest Blogger: Nick Pindale, Cameron School of Business '18, B.S. Business Administration with concentration in Entrepreneurship

Starting my own company was the best but hardest thing I have ever done on my own.

I had worked for a photo booth rental company in Maryland for nearly a year before transferring schools from UMBC to UNCW. It was the best job I have ever had. I was getting paid to go to parties, hang out, eat, socialize, and have fun with the guests and I was making more than enough money from only working once or twice a week. Can you imagine anything better? I couldn’t. I loved my job, it was something I was passionate about and looked forward to doing.  I wanted to do the exact same thing while I was at UNCW. So, I started my own photo booth rental company, Photo Perfect Photobooth LLC.

Starting a company is easy: fill out a form, pay a fee, and then boom, you have a Limited Liability Company (LLC). Being a business owner for the first time, however, is extremely difficult. You need to be passionate about what it is you’re starting. You need to believe in what you’re doing. And most importantly, you need to know that your entire life will continuously change. If you don’t grow, neither will your company, so you need to be ready for that. Change is uncomfortable, but it’s necessary, and you will change as your company does.

It took 6 months for me to book my first event. During those 6 months, I had questioned my ability to be successful, worried I wasted time and money on something that would never work out, and doubted myself. Even though I had a lot of internal barriers holding me back, I had a drive to succeed that kept me going and prevented me from giving up. Eventually I booked a wedding and soon after I was booking events for almost every weekend.

My advice to anybody thinking about or in the process of starting a company is: just do it. There’s a lot to be afraid of but you should do it anyway. Working on something and watching it grow is one of the most rewarding parts of owning a business. Knowing that the success of the business reflects your own success, is something that will inspire you to put in your maximum effort. Being an entrepreneur is a highly satisfying lifestyle.

Topics: Cameron School of Business, Entrepreneurship, Student Stories

Cameron School of Business at UNCW

UNCW was established as Wilmington College in 1947. The Department of Business and Economics became the Cameron School of Business in 1979. Focused on the transformation of today’s business world from the industrial age into the information age, business education at the Cameron School of Business is focused on the technical, analytical and interpersonal skills students will need to lead this fundamental change in the business world through the 21st century.

On our blog, you will find:

• Stories of our students, both past and present
  • Highlights of our impressive faculty and staff members
  • Exciting ties to the community
  • Business tips and insights on both a local and international scale
For more information, visit our site or reach out to us!

Subscribe to Email Updates

Posts by Topic

see all